Sunday, June 28, 2015

Anyway ...

It's hard to know where to start, but here goes. 

So today is the day we have never wanted to happen. The day the last brand new as yet unseen real Top Gear show will be aired. It feels silly to be so upset, yes indeed, upset, about the ending of a TV show 'about cars'. But it has meant a lot to so many people so I don't feel quite so daft. 

When I have really needed cheering up, it has never ceased to amaze me that I could just turn on the telly and be laughing, interested, entertained, and uplifted in seconds, all thanks to a 'poxy little motoring show'. Nothing else quite does the trick.  The whole team have all created something magical and very very special. I doubt that it's possible to understand just how gutted and heartbroken that Jeremy, Richard, James and Andy are at the outcome of all of this. As we now know, it's done, no going back. Today's article by Andy in the Sunday Times covers it well and helps us to understand just where they are at and an inkling as to how they are feeling.  Suffice to say, we all feel pretty gutted too. 


The Mirror is speculating about the future of an independently made programme to be shown on ITV against the TG that the ginger one plans to make, and maybe a showing on Netflix too for the international audiences. Who knows the truth of that so far, but at least we can be sure they will be making something new. We all hope they will once again be able to create that magic.


I have had the tremendous luck and privilege of attending the filming at Dunsfold and was there on 25th February this year. I had a funny feeling as I left at the end and wondered if I would ever go there again. So I went back and took a few photos of the hangar as the audience left and the crew dismantled the set for the last but one and a half time.  It felt very poignant even then, before the incident. So I have added a few photos here from that day.


Thank you Jeremy, Richard, James, Andy, Brian and all the other people involved in making the programme. Thank you seems massively inadequate but it's enough I hope.

I shall try to enjoy tonight's show. Remember also the tremendous catalogue of work they have created which we can continue to enjoy too, and who knows what the future holds. 





2 comments:

  1. Having someone new go into that ordinary, yet enormously special, place will seem like a bit of a violation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree. Unimaginable actually. I fancy getting a ticket just so I can walk out in protest!

    ReplyDelete