Thursday, June 18, 2015

Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow.

So, it has happened. Top Gear has a new host.

Those who enjoyed the Clarkson Hammond and May version are, understandably, proclaiming loyalty to the previous host(s) declaring never to watch the new version of the show. But remember that the old show, although never as popular as the latest version, has a rich history. I certainly watched Old Top Gear  from  the very early days. I remember William Wollard, Tiff Needell, Quentin Wilson, Julia Bradshaw and James May's few appearances. (James made me laugh straight away, particularly when he reviewed the Jaguar S-Type, and the Mazda MX5 with Julia.) Strangely I have little recollection of Clarkson or Wilman's performances.

Stop and think a moment. There was a popular science fiction programme a few years back called Star Trek. I was a great fan and watched every episode and new incarnation with interest to see how it developed. The Original Series, TNG, DS9 and even parts of Voyager were excellent. Key players in the Original Series lent their support to the new actors, notably Leonard Nimoy's friendship with Zachary Quinto. Anyway, where am I going with this?

I think the future is uncertain, and still undecided. But we have the opportunity hopefully of two great new car shows.

The New Version of Top Gear will be made by someone who loves cars, who produces his own style of shows which are, generally, very popular. It will probably appeal to a rather different audience though. I know it's success will depend on the new team and mix of presenters. Evans will be a great producer I'm sure, but personally I have never been a fan of his programmes or of him as a presenter. If it's just Evans, Kidd and Guy Martin I doubt I will find it watchable. Evans, Suzi Perry and James Martin (or maybe Philip Glenister or even Paul Hollywood on a bike) would tempt a viewing. But it will need a completely different format. Start again, completely.

As for the other three, who knows what they are doing. It takes time to find the right direction so I'm happy to wait. I wonder if they actually have the harder job of the two. I don't think they can just churn out the same old format on a new network, even allowing for their wonderful chemistry. That would be lame. Maybe they will go to Netflix with a new format and, without the BBC Meddling Dept, there will be something fresh and really special to come. I hope so.

So all I can say is for now is, let's see how boldly it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment