Monday, July 15, 2013

Home Thoughts From Abroad



Ladies and Gentlemen, the following blog has been written by a Canadian.  
You have been warned.
 #ThatIsAll
 VB

"Snowy and VintagBarbara’s Most Excellent Top Gear Adventure" Written by Snowy.


It started with a Tweet. Just a simple tweet to the other side of the world.
Snowy: What’s new?
VB: I’ve got some terrific news!
Snowy: Don’t keep me in suspense!
VB: Keep it secret?
Snowy: Cross my heart hope to die, stick a needle in my eye, if I lie.

Now that I have recited the pledge that struck fear into the heart of every eight year old, I was committed. No loose lips on this one. No turning back. This was a “double dog” promise of secrecy!

Snowy: Ok lets be having it.
VB: I’ve got tickets for Top Gear for the 10 July!
Snowy: Eeeeeek! Awsomesauce! Lucky duck! Wish it were me!
VB: Wish you could come!
Snowy: Say hello to Mr. May for me!
VB: I can’t believe my luck and this is the best birthday present ever!
Snowy: Most excellent indeed!

Hmmmm....My mind went into overdrive. What are the chances that I have days off during the two TG filming days?”.  I grabbed my daytimer, lets see the 10 July. Holy crapoly! The filming falls on my days off. Am I mad? Can I afford it? Heck!

My Google finger went into overdrive. ‘Cheap flights, Vancouver to London’  Albatross Airways? Economy air travel, (wooden chairs, bologna sandwich) Done!

Snowy: Hey VB! Do you have a spare corner of the laundry room, where I could curl up? I won’t bother the cats or steal their food.
VB: Get over here!

With that I boarded a plane enroute to London. Did I feel posh? Yes! Was I an international jet setter? Yes! Well, in the theater of my mind anyway. And my bologna sandwich was like caviar to me. Spur of the moment decisions take on a certain cache, when a transatlantic plane ride to London is involved.

Having worked at film festivals and aware of the celebrity culture, questions arose. Will I get in? Will James give autographs and pictures, or will he hide in the green room during the tea break reading Airplane Magazine eating a pork pie? I fired off a tweet of inquiry, and to my amazement, he replied. He would indeed be serving tea. But as in life, things are subject to change, so who could be sure?

The TG day arrived. It was bright and sunny, wardrobe laid out, alarm set, 4 hours sleep, I was wide awake and raring to go! To avoid any possible cock ups on the motorway, we set out very early, we left nothing to chance. Enid all cozy in her satnav box, we fired up the ‘rod’ and our Most Excellent Adventure began.
We picked up our ‘rent a blokes’ and hit the road for Dunsfold. The air was tingly with excitement.

We drove along the road to Dunsfold and stopped at the guard station, a familiar sight when I accompanied James to work in his red Porsche. (via youtube) Greeted by a friendly fellow, we were issued purple TG wrist bands. After a brief lowdown on where to park and what to do, he assured me I could take in my picture for James to sign, along with a Mr. Big choccie bar, a reminder of his Arctic Adventure,  that I bought from Canada. We arrived in good time and parked in the first row of cars.

First stop, gift shop. Lots of T shirts with the Stig on them, but since he is my least favorite part of the show, I passed. I opted for a key chain and a sticker. I was hoping for a T-shirt of May and the boys, but since there were none to be had, I hazard to guess for licensing and monetary reasons, I left the gift shop only ten quid lighter.

We spent the next two hours eating yummy hot dogs, and sitting in the shade, madly googling the answers to the quiz. No one collected our completed quizzes at the door, so my guess, the prize went to the person that handed hers in. A slight oversight on our part, but never mind. 

After a briefing from what I recall to be a producer [it was the floor manager Snowy VB], we swiftly walked, (not ran) to the hangar where Top Gear is filmed. We flashed our wrist bands at security manning the door, and as our strategy discussed, we felt the best place to stand during the filming was beside the camera. That way we have a straight view of the stage and the presenters. If we stand behind the presenters, we had a good view of the back of their heads.

The stage was bare, only a security guard keeping tabs on things. No famous car seat for May and Hammond, nor Clarkson’s chair to be seen. Nothing was set up, odd.  The hangar/studio was smaller than I imagined. It looks much bigger on telly, especially with the swooping camera crane shots.

Geoff, the Eagle iThrust homemade car, and the poor old Toyota pickup were given permanent places of glory mounted on the walls of the studio. The Top Gear logo was painted on the huge hangar doors, the studio lights were set, cameras placed. Everything was ready to go. The floor manager took control of the situation, reminding us that if we were attending the taping with anyone we were not supposed to be there with, it might be a good idea to leave.  We were given a brief chat on studio etiquette, and the Director took the stage. I don’t remember much of what he said other than being an award winning director or something like that.

Jeremy then bounded on stage, and all six foot five of him was in very fine form. He was bright, cheerful and full of energy. He explained the ins and outs of laughing, then showed us a very naughty tape full of naughty words and out takes.  I never say no to an education. He wore his signature jeans and a blue and white flowery shirt under a t shirt, but I agree, the shirt should have been buttoned up. Ahem Jezza, note James’ shirt, copy.

Jeremy then explained the need for good looking people, who would be placed randomly behind the presenters for the eye candy effect. I was not given one of the ‘beautiful people wrist bands’, nor did I mind. I can understand how the audience at home wouldn’t appreciate hairy backs and arm pits behind Hammond and James.  Eye candy serves a purpose.  Jeremy went to town on a chubby lad, saying “both of you must get out of the shot”. I felt a bit sad for the poor boy, who was very big indeed, but he took it in stride, and played along. If you want to be at Top Gear, you must expect the unexpected, good or bad. I think Jeremy apologized afterward, just part of the gags. [Yes he did apologise and had a bit of a chat with the lad. All was well. VB]

Hammond was then called onto the stage, neat as a pin, wearing a tweed jacket.  Much more subdued than Jezza, he worked the camera but seemed to be a bit preoccupied when the camera wasn’t rolling. Then, camera ready, he sprang into action on que. Jeremy took great delight in calling Hammond a prat for his choice of wardrobe, and insisted he couldn’t make it through the taping with the Tweedie on. The studio was hot!

Then came the bombshell. Us girls had just been discussing hair, mens to be exact. Long, short, buzzed, curly, baldies, or the ever popular Friar Tuck style. I have always preferred long hair on men. No silly pony tail, just free and blowy. Don’t know why, must have been something to do with my Keith Partridge days. Jeremy then announced that James had gotten his hair cut that day.  Us girls exchanged looks of shock and horror! Last time James got a haircut, he looked like he got too close to the weed whacker. I held my breath, please let there be a little bit left, please, please, please..

“And everybody please welcome Mr. James May!” James bounded onto the stage, his locks barely touched, and my breathing restored, I took my finger off speed dial, 999 was no longer needed, they could put the paddles away. Whew. No possibility of pictures with Mr. Q Ball, (my worst fear) The lovely May locks were intact! I could now rest easy.

After the earlier “put away the camera’s, mobiles, and other recording devices, threat of death and decapitation speech” I dutifully put my ipod in my pocket. The three boys engaged in good natured banter on stage. All the while Vintage was happily snapping. Then Mark the stage manager said, “Ok, cameras away, let’s get going.” What??? I could have taken more piccies! Grrr....

The stage was bare, a little puzzling to be sure. First up was the video of the trip to Spain in the ‘reasonably priced super cars’. Is there such a thing? Really? The lights went down, the lads left the stage, and we watched one of many monitors placed around the studio.

The News was next. The famous green car seat was brought on stage along with the engine block glass table and Jeremy’s single chair. It was announced that after the news, we would break for tea. The lads entered and proceeded to do the news. It seemed so spontaneous and fun, but it’s scripted to be sure, as smooth as silk. Time is money in TV land, and this was quite evident. 

The plan was hatched. As soon as the news was finished, we would dash out for tea, in hopes that Mr. May would be around. [Actually they filmed the short intro for SIARPC just before tea too, so we were able to get in place near to the doors. VB]

And Oh my God. There he was, serving tea as promised. With photo and Mr. Big bar in hand, I made my way to the table. I said hello to James, the penny had yet to drop.

“Hi James” I said
“Hello”
“I’m Snowy” ‘
“Oh my word he replied, you came all the way from Canada for this?” 
“Yes, and a mini holiday as well” I said
“You are mad woman” he said.
(someone has to be)

My days off, Albatross Airlines and a bologna sandwich all presented themselves, plus a free ticket, and a chauffuer to Dunsfold and back, it was a no brainer. The stars aligned. I gave him a Mr. Big chockie bar, the kind from the Arctic Adventure show. (nutters, I live in Canada, and I’d never do that!) He thanked me and said he liked Mr. Big. bars.

James signed my picture and I quizzed him about the x&o levels on the pictures. I insisted on 3 x’s. He insisted on one x. He relented, I got my three.  

Pictures were taken, chat was exchanged, and it’s all a bit of a blur. James picked up my camera and took a few shots himself.  I was too shy and nervous to ask for a cuddle picture, as VB got one and I’m insanely jealous. [Actually Snowy, he offered. VB]  I don’t like to invade a person’s space, some folk don’t like to get too close, I’m one of them. I don’t approach unless asked, just my way I guess.

After I had my time with James, I was shocked to see hundreds, (maybe not) of people standing behind me waiting for their photo op with James.  I had no idea they were there.

VB moved in and got a huggy shot. (rats!) [Snowy, I said he offered! VB] I took some pics of her and James, and I think I got some lovely shots. There was so much happening, and so many people milling around, it’s hard to remember exactly.

VB wanted to get a good spot for the SIARPC segment. I wanted a huggy shot. VB went back into the hangar. I went to the loo. [Actually we both went to the loo then went our various ways. VB] I made my way back to the tea table, and James was still at it, this time with ice cream cone in hand, encouraging folk to come up for a picture if they want one.  I took a few snaps and he offered me the flake from his Whippy cone. Then I asked him if I could get a ‘selfie’ piccy. He told me not to push my luck, but was very accommodating with me as I took a shot of the two of us. It turned out great!

Pictures done, tea over, I made my way back to the studio. SIARPC was next. I stood at the back and watched it on a monitor. Just before it started, Jeremy appeared out of nowhere and came up behind the girl in front of me and went BOO! She screamed, and laughed. Jezza was in a playful mood that day.

After the Cumberbach interview, the winner of the race had to be announced. I was standing at the back of the crowd, so I moved around to an open spot and a load of people moved in behind me. The last segment came and went. James won the challenge in his Audi, but all three chose the Farari as their car of choice. I think because it was the same colour as my shoes.

Andy Wilman made an appearance, looking like something the cat dragged in as usual. 

Jeremy closed the show with his bombshell routine and it was done. The lads went back to the green room, and the audience left Top Gear world, perhaps lucky to get tickets for another taping, one day, maybe. The studio emptied quickly, I took lots of piccies.

So that is it.  My excellent adventure came to a close. I got a couple of great piccies with Mr. May, had a brief conversation, and my mind is now full of happy memories of my spontaneous trip to England, and my wonderful trip to Dunsfold to see a taping of Top Gear.

I will say in closing, one never knows what to expect. Expect the unexpected. Go with the flow. Take the opportunities when they arise, no matter how silly, or how long the plane ride. Opportunity may never come your way again. Go for it, and if it works out, it’s a big bonus. It will make you smile forever. I have met what show business calls “the talent”, before, many times. I work at film festivals, so I am well versed in the protocol. Don’t expect anything, but be grateful for anything. If you wish to meet a person involved in show business, play by the rules. Be respectful, ask for a photo or an autograph and be prepared. Have a picture to be signed, I printed my favorite off the internet, you can too. Have a Sharpie pen ready. Take an extra set of batteries for your camera, make sure your photo card is not full and your flash is working. Preparation is key to a great experience.

Put yourself in their shoes. Acting, or presenting is a job. It’s hard work, it has many benefits, but also many pitfalls. I work for a transportation company and I would hate to come home to find lorry drivers hanging around my house, or at my pub, hoping to catch a glimpse of me, or declare their undying love. If a celeb interaction happens on the job, or it’s work related, thats ok, it’s expected. But when the talent heads for home, leave them in peace. When the director yells cut, they revert to being people too. This is not part of the fantasy, it’s the reality.

And as for Mr. May, what can I say?  He is your next door neighbour who works on cars, with scruffy hair, saggy jeans, and occasionally stops for a pork pie, a beer and a chat. He puts you at ease, is friendly and thoughtful, and an unbelievably nice bloke. You did a good job Mrs. May.  I can tell.

 Snowy






















No comments:

Post a Comment